Communities around the world are working to promote Fairtrade in their area to help spread the impact. In the process many communities are meeting goals to become recognised as a Fairtrade Town.
By choosing to support Fairtrade on a community level, your town joins hundreds of communities demanding a trade system that puts people at the heart of the transaction. Your voice becomes louder when you get everyone involved.
Becoming a Fairtrade Town
There are over 1,500 Fairtrade Towns around the world. Most countries share Five Goals for a Fairtrade Town. These goals form the foundation of a strong local and national campaign and help involve lots of different groups and organisations.
The core Five Goals include:
- Creating a resolution passed by the local council to support Fairtrade, and serve Fairtrade products during civic functions when possible (for example, in meetings, offices and canteens),
- Ensuring that a range of Fairtrade products are available locally (targets vary from country to country),
- Promoting Fairtrade and the use Fairtrade products whenever possible in schools, workplaces, places of worship and community organisations,
- Generating media coverage and events to raise awareness and understanding of Fairtrade across the community,
- Recruiting a Fairtrade community steering group to coordinate action and continue the campaign.
Learn how you can get involved and make your town a Fairtrade Town by visiting http://www.fairtradetowns.org/